Light lamington cake recipe
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup rice bran oil
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 2/3 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup dessicated coconut
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 125g 100% strawberry jam
- 150g 70% dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut, for decoration
Preheat your oven to 160°C, fan-forced.
Beat eggs until thick and fluffy. Add the honey, oil, vanilla bean seeds and water in to the egg mis and stir until combined. (To extract seeds, cut vanilla bean lengthways and scrape out the seeds with a knife).
In a separate bowl mix together wholemeal flour, coconut and cornflour. Add egg mixture and stir to combine.
Grease a lamington tin (23cm × 32cm) with oil and line the base with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the greased tray and bake for 20 minutes.
Leave cake to cool in the tin for at least 20 minutes. Remove from tin and cool further on a cake rack.
Once the lamington cake has cooled slice it in half with a serratted knife so you end up with two flat cakes. Spread strawberry jam over one half and gently place the other cake half on top.
To make the icing, melt the dark chocolate by popping in the microwave for 20 second bursts. When melted, use a spatula to cover the top and sides of the cake with chocolate, then sprinkle all over with coconut.
- The easiest way to extract seeds from the best is to cut it lengthways and scrape out the seeds with a knife.
- Be careful when melting the chocolate - only do very quick bursts in the microwave.
- Use a teaspoon to sprinkle the coconut over the top of the lamington and my fingers to sprinkle the coconut over the sides.
- This recipe is sugar free (aside from the jam inside), and contains no white flour or butter so it great alternative to normal unhealthy lamingtons.
- This recipe was created by Emily Rose, author of 'Have Your Cake' for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.