Pea and ham soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 swede, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks of celery, sliced
- 1 potato, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 1 rack of smoked ribs(at least 8 ribs), sliced down between the bones
In a large pot, heat the oil and add all of the vegetables. Fry for 4-5 mins until they are starting to soften.
Add 3L boiling water to the pot with the 2 cups of split peas and the smoked ribs.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour.
Using tongs, remove all ribs to a bowl and leave to cool for a few minutes.
Using 2 forks, shread the meat and discard the bones and sinews.
Roughly chop the meat and return to the pot. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- This recipe can use various types of ham from the leftover leg bone to a hock.
- I used one of those soup packs of veges that you can buy in the supermarket.
- If you prefer a smoother soup, you can puree the vegetables in the soup before you return that ham to the pot.
Find related soup recipes
- Chicken noodle soup
- Curried lentil soup
- Curtis Stone's chorizo and chick pea soup
- Katie's chicken soup recipe
- Pick-me-up spicy lentil soup
- Pumpkin and cumin soup recipe
- Pumpkin soup
- Red lentil and pumpkin soup recipe
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.