Date scones recipe
- 150ml milk
- 150ml cream
- 1 egg
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1/4 cup milk (for glazing)
- 1 tsp sugar
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Whisk the egg, milk and cream together until combined.
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar and dates together.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to bring together the dough.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until the dough just comes together.
Pat into a 2cm thick round. Cut scones out and place on the tray.
Combine the 1/4 cup of milk with the teaspoon of sugar and brush over the tops of the scones.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- You have to have jam and cream with these scones.
- Don't work that dough too much. It will take the lightness from your scone.
- If you like your scones really soft and fluffy, you can push them up against each other on the tray.
Related scone recipes:
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.