You will never pay megabucks for this at the shops after you learn how to make your own. It's simple and tasty!
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 2 tsp dried yeast or 1 satchet (7g)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt (for the topping)
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 3 tbsp olive oil (for the topping)
In a bowl, sift the flour and salt and set aside.
In a second bowl, add the water, yeast and castor sugar. Whisk together and leave to sit for 10 minutes.
Make a well in the flour and stir in the water/yeast mix. Turn out onto a floured bench and knead for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
Leave to prove in an oiled bowl covered in cling film for 30 minutes in a warm place.
Knead on a floured bench until it returns to its original size.
Press it into shape on an oiled oven tray. Cover with cling film and leave for 20 minutes in a warm place to prove again.
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Sprinkle the top of the dough with the sea salt and Italian herbs.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden and the base is firm.
- This is great for any type of sandwiches that you needs a delicious bread for.
- You can top it with a number of ingredients like olives, rosemary, garlic etc.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.