Beef Bourguignon recipe
- 750ml red wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1kg gravy beef, cut into large chunks
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 6 eshallots, (tiny brown onions)peeled and halved
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 7 bay leaves
- 300g button mushrooms
In a small saucepan bring the wine to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pan, heat the oil and brown the beef in batches until well seared and set aside.
In the same pan, fry the bacon, onions, leeks, carrots and celery for 5 minutes. Add the beef back into the pan with the red wine, thyme and bay leaves.
Bring to the boil and place lid on the pan. Simmer for 45-50 minutes until the meat is tender.
Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes with the lid off. Remove bay leaves before serving.
- This dish is best served with Paris mash and steamed carrots.
- You can also use this recipe to make Beef Bourguignon Pies.
- The is hearty and flavoursome and I like to thicken it up with some cornflour and water at the end of cooking
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.