Onion gravy recipe
- 1/2 cup pan juices and fat
- 1 onion, peeled, halved and sliced
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp beef or chicken stock
- 2 cups of boiling water
Using the same pan that you have cooked your meat in, heat the pan juices and fat and add the onions to cook for a minute or two.
Sprinkle the flour over the pan, stirring constantly, cook the flour for 2-3 mins and brown it a little to give your gravy a brown colour.
Whisk in the boiling water and stock powder thoroughly, de-glazing the pan
Test for taste and season with salt and pepper.
- You may use any flavour stock that you like with this recipe except for fish stock.
- Deglazing the pan is the term for getting all the brown bit of flavour off the bottom of the pan. These are essential as a flavour component of good gravy.
- I used the drippings from some lamb loin chops for this gravy but you can use the same from sausages or your roast as well.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.