Vegetable soup recipe
This delicious vegetable soup is simple, flavoursome and fast. It's a great nutritious lunchbox soup and you can adjust it to what you have in your fridge.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 swede, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 2L of vegetable, beef or chicken stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
In a saucepan, melt the butter and add the onion and garlic. Saute until translucent.
Add the celery, carrots and zucchini and fry for 5 minutes.
Pour in the stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 10-15 mins until the vegetables are cooked.
Check for seasoning and use salt and pepper if required.
- If you have little people in your household that are vegetable resistant you can puree this soup so they won't know what they are eating. I like to give mine a mug of this when they come home from school with some bread and butter
- I like to add any fresh herbs I have on hand like oregano and basil to this soup. The longer you simmer it the better the flavour.
- If you are really stuck for time, you can use one of those ready cut bag of soup vegetables from the supermarket.
- If you are looking for a more substantial soup, you can throw some soup pasta like orso into the pot but you may have to add additional water as the pasta takes up a bit.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.