Slow cooker spicy beef stew recipe
- 1kg blade or rump steak, cubed
- 1 leek, finely diced
- 1 pkt French onion soup mix
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp cardamom pods
- ½ tsp peppercorns
- 12 cherry tomatoes, or you could use 1 tin diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 potatoes, quartered
- 1 medium kumera or sweet potato, diced
- ¼ cup frozen peas
Place into your slow cooker the raw beef, leek, potatoes, soup mix, curry powder, garlic, cardamom pods, peppercorns and water. Put on auto for 4 hours.
At the 4 hour mark, add tomato paste, cherry tomatoes (or tinned tomatoes), sweet potato and frozen peas, and keep simmering for another 2 hours.
- Don't you love it when you start making something and realise halfway through that it's not what you expect it to be, so you modify it and it turns out brilliant? That’s how this recipe came into being!
- What started out as an experiment is definitely going to be made again – everyone loved it and asked for seconds.
Find more slow cooker recipes:
This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.