Beef casserole with parmesan dumplings recipe
This hearty beef casserole with parmesan dumplings is true comfort food with the dumplings giving it a real flavour boost and making it deliciously filling.
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1kg gravy beef, cubed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin (400g) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 50g butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 3/4 cup milk
In a bowl, mix the flour, salt and pepper. Toss the beef in the flour to coat.
Heat the oil in a pan and seal the beef in small batches, then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Add the onion to the same pan with the carrots, celery, garlic and tomato paste. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
Pour the beef stock and tinned tomatoes into the pan and de-glaze making sure you lift all the flavoured bits off the bottom of the pan.
Return the beef to the pan, stir in the thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Return the pan to the boil and pour the contents into a lidded casserole dish.
Place the casserole in the oven and cook for 45 minutes.
To make the dumplings, place the flour in a bowl and rub the butter into the flour lightly. Stir in the parmesan and mix in the milk to form a dough.
Roll the dough into 2cm balls and place on a plate covered with cling wrap until the casserole is removed from the oven.
Place the dumplings on top of the casseriole and return to the oven uncovered. Bake for 20 minutes.
- There needs to be lots of juice in this casserole because the dumplings soak it up.
- You can add any vegetables you like to this casserole.
- Freshly chopped herbs are a great addition to these dumplings.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related casserole recipes
- Beef casserole
- Beef casserole with a hint of sweet
- Chicken and bacon casserole
- Chicken and pumpkin casserole
- Chilli pork and bean slow cooker casserole
- Easy beef casserole
- Easy chicken casserole
- Favourite lamb casserole
- Italian chicken casserole
- Lamb and bean casserole
- Lamb chop casserole
- Rich beef and carrot casserole
- Sausage and beef casserole
- Tuna and rice casserole