Boston bun recipe
- 1 cup mashed potato, warm
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sultanas
- 1 cup pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 tsp strawberry essence
- 3 drops pink food colouring
- 2 tbsp dessicated coconut
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a 20cm round cake tin with canola oil and set aside.
In a bowl, by hand, mix the potato and sugar together. Add all of the flour and cinnamon and slowly stir in the milk. When all ingredients are incorporated add the sultanas and stir until evenly distributed.
Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Remove from pan and leave to cool on a wire rack.
To make the icing, stir together all of the ingredients except for the coconut.
Spread icing over the top of the cooled bun and sprinkle with coconut.
Find related afternoon tea treats
- Buttermilk scones
- Cheese and bacon scones
- Cheesy scones
- Choc chip scones
- Date scones
- Lemonade scones
- Finger buns
- Hot cross buns
- Corn pikelets
- Gluten-free pikelets
- Pikelets with chocolate sauce
- Veggie pikelets
- Cinnamon tea cake
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
- This recipe is super simple and turns out just like a shop-bought Boston bun.
- This is great cut into wedges and served with butter.
- Some people like to sprinkle cinnamon on top instead of coconut.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.