Poached soy chicken recipe
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shao sing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 4 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 fresh chicken (preferably free-range)
- 1 tsp light soy sauce (additional)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to the boil, ensuring it will fit your chicken.
While the water is boiling, rub the inside of your chicken with the soy and shao sing wine.
Finely chop 2 shallots with 3 slices of ginger and the garlic. Pound in a mortar and pestle until it makes a paste or use a stick blender to mince.
Stuff this mixture inside the chicken cavity.
Lower the chicken into the boiling water with the remaining shallots and ginger pieces.
Turn the water off and place a lid on the pot. After 10 minutes place a large fork inside chicken and drain the liquid back into the pot. Place the chicken back into the water. Repeat this step twice again at 10 minute intervals.
Turn the heat on again and bring the pot back to the boil. Turn the heat off and re-cover. Drain the bird's cavity at 10 minute intervals twice again.
The chicken will be poaching in the pot for a total of 1 hour. I like to leave it to cool in the poaching liquid so that it stays moist if I can.
When you remove it from the pot, combine the additional soy, sesame oil and salt and rub over the outside of the chicken. Cut into small pieces and serve with white rice and blanched Chinese greens.
- Poaching chicken takes a while and is labour-intensive but the final product is the most moist tender chicken you will ever have.
- You can find Chinese rice wine in Asian grocery stores for less than $3.
- If poaching a chicken this way makes you nervous, you can always boil it at the beginning of the process for 15 minutes. This will speed the process up.
- The stock that is left over after you poach this chicken is perfect Asian soup stock. Just strain it 2-3 times and freeze it if you can't use it straight away.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken