Pressure cooker chicken with thyme recipe
- 1 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 double chicken breast, cut into large pieces
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Season the flour with salt and pepper and roll the chicken pieces in the flour to coat.
Heat the oil in the pressure cooker base and brown the chicken in batches until golden.
Add all of the chicken back into the pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes.
Place the carrots, celery and potatoes into the pressure cooker with the thyme. Cook for a further 3 minutes.
Pour the chicken stock into the pressure cooker and bring to the boil, stirring well and ensuring that all the brown bits are scraped off the bottom of the pan.
Place the lid on the pressure cooker and bring to full pressure. Reduce heat to maintain pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
Stir parsley through when finished and serve.
- You can use chicken thighs for this recipe as well. Chicken thighs have a much better flavour than breasts.
- I used these vegetables for this recipe but you can use sweet potato, pumpkin or zucchini. Just use whatever you have on hand.
- The thyme is the stand out flavour in this dish. I used dried thyme but if you use fresh it gives it an even better flavour.
- Pressure cooking keeps every bit of moisture from the food and none of the liquids you add will evaporate, so even if there seems to be not enough liquid when you begin there will be when you take the lid off.
- If the sauce seems a bit thin you can add 2 tsp of cornflour to a glass of cold water and add it to the stew. Bring the stew back to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken
Related chicken recipes:
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.