Caesar salad recipe
- 3 cos lettuce leaves, washed and drained
- 2 slices soda or italian hard loaf bread
- 1 clove garlic
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated (to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 pieces shortcut bacon or prosciutto
- 1/3 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 anchovy fillets, mashed
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Couple scrapes of lemon rind
Make dressing by combining all ingredients together. Set aside.
Bring a medium saucepan of water to the boil on the stove.
Chop lettuce roughly and put in salad bowl.
Grill bacon and bread until browned on both sides. Chop cooked bacon and rub peeled garlic clove on to hot bread. Chop both into rough squares.
When water is boiling, poach eggs by adding vinegar to the water and then with a large slotted spoon, swirl the water to create a whirlpool with the water. Crack the eggs into the whirlpool. Boil for another one and a half minutes before removing the eggs with a slotted spoon. Drain.
Meanwhile, add bacon and bread to the lettuce, add 2 tablespoons of dressing, and grate parmesan liberally over the top. Add the eggs then toss the salad - the yolk should break into the salad.
- My mate Sell claims she makes the best Caesar salad, and I don’t want to hurt her feelings, but clearly, she’s wrong...
- The recipe for the dressing will make about four times as much dressing as you will need for this salad. Which give you the perfect excuse to make this salad multiple times!
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.