Slow cooker sausage and eggplant casserole recipe
- 600g lean beef sausages
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 eggplant, diced
- 2 x 420g tins peeled or diced tomatoes
- chilli flakes or ground chilli
- 1 cup chicken stock
Pour tinned tomatoes into slow cooker and turn onto low.
In a medium saucepan, boil water and add sausages. Bring them up to a gentle boil until cooked through.
Whilst sausages are boiling, heat oil in a frying pan and add onion, garlic and eggplant and fry until soft. Add chicken stock and simmer for about 5 minutes, then transfer to slow cooker.
When the sausages are boiled, peel skins off and chop into 1-2cm pieces depending on your taste.
Add to the tomatoes. When all ingredients are in slow cooker, sprinkle with chilli powder to your taste (even if kids are eating, just a little) and a little pepper and cook on low for 6 hours. You could put it on high for 3 hours also, but it's better cooked slowly.
Serve on rice.
- This one doesn't sound like much and even when you're making it you wonder if it's going to turn out a bit bland, but let me assure you - it is YUMMY. It tastes like you slaved over it but it is super easy and light on the fat content too.
- This recipe was created by Melissa Klemke for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.