Cheese and zucchini scones recipe
- 1 zucchini, coursely grated
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 spring onions (shallots), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Wrap the grated zucchini in a paper towel or a new chux cloth and squeeze out all the liquid.
Place into a bowl with the flour, the tasty and parmesan cheese, spring onion and salt. Mix together well so that all the cheese is well coated in the flour and the strands are seperated.
Pour the buttermilk into the bowl and use a spatula to fold the mixture together.
Place on a surface that is dusted with flour and lightly knead. Pat out into a 2cm thick circle.
Take a large scone cutter dipped into flour and cut 10 scones. Fold the dough together and pat out again to cut another round of scones.
Place on the tray so that each scone is touching the next and they are all joined up.
Brush the tops with a little buttermilk and bake for 20-25 minutes.
Split and fill with fresh leg ham and homemade chutney.
- If you don't have any buttermilk, you add a teaspoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to full-fat milk to create "buttermilk".
- If you don't have a large scone cutter you can use a drinking glass to cut these scones.
- I used spring onions for their full flavour but if you like a more subtle flavour you can replace these with 1/3 cup of chopped chives.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find more lunchbox recipes: