Fruity gelato recipe
- 2 cups fruit, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 egg whites
Combine the fruit, lemon juice and honey in a bowl and mash or use a stick blender to puree.
Pour into a cake tin lined with baking paper. Place into the freezer. This should take approximately 2-3 hours to freeze.
In a bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the frozen fruit mixture and mix using a stick blenderuntil it becomes light and fluffy.
Pour into your serving dish and place back into the freezer for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- This recipe requires tasting before you freeze the final mixture so you can adjust the sweetness to your liking.
- I used frozen raspberries for this recipe. After the fruit was pureed, I strained the mixture to remove all of the seeds. You could use bananas, strawberries, mixed berries, blueberries or my favourite, mangoes!
- Frozen fruit is a great choice for this recipe as most packs measure 500g which is around 2 cups.
- If you don't have any honey, castor sugar is a perfectly acceptable substitute. I would replace it with about one third of a cup.
- This gelato is great for small children but please be aware that it is not recommended to give honey or raw egg whites to babies under a year old due to the risk of botulism poisoning.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.