Italian sausage and rocket penne recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 brown onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 kg Italian sausages, skins removed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup water
- 1 pkt (500g) penne pasta, cooked al dente
- 3 cups baby rocket
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions and capsicum until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
In the same pan, add the sausages and use a wooden spoon to break them into bite-sized pieces. Fry until cooked through.
Return the vegetables to the pan with the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add the water to the pan and stir well lifting all the flavour from the bottom.
Toss the pasta through the meat and vegetables. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and stir the baby rocket through. Pour into the serving dish and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- This recipe makes a really large serving that should feed 6-8 people.
- I was afraid that this would be a bit bland but this dish really gets its flavour hit with the rocket and parmesan.
- This dish is great to make if you know you will be really busy at dinner time. Just leave out the rocket and pasta until you are ready to serve.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.