Spicy fried rice recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil (additional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 6 cups cooked rice, (preferably still hot)
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 1 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 cup water
- 4 shallots (spring onions), finely sliced
In a frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of oil and pour in the eggs. Use a spatula to constantly flip and cut the eggs into small pieces. When cooked, remove from the pan and set aside.
In the same frying pan, heat 3 tbsp of oil and add the chicken, frying just until hot. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Add the rice and continually turn and move around to stop it sticking or burning.
Pour in the soy, oyster, and sweet chilli sauces and water. Return the egg to the pan and stir to combine.
Turn the heat off and add the shallots and combine well. Serve.
- This dish uses the stir fry technique so it is best to have all of the ingredients set out and ready to go before you start to cook.
- This fried rice is a really wet saucy version of fried rice. It is spicy but not so much that children won't be able to eat it.
- You can make this into a vegetarian dish by replacing the chicken with some golden tofu cubes or just omitting the chicken.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.