Butter cake recipe
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup milk
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
Beat the eggs in one at a time until combined.
Add half of the flour and half of the milk and fold into the mixture using a spatula. Add the the rest of the flour and milk and continue to fold until all combined.
Pour cake mix into the cake tin and smooth top.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Leave to cool in tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to continue cooling.
- This mixture is quite thick and fluffy in comparison to some cake mixtures.
- You can give this cake a great citrus twist by replacing half of the milk with orange juice and adding the rind of one orange.This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder
Find more birthday cake recipes
- Balloon birthday cake
- Birthday cake recipes
- Bouncing balls birthday cake
- Chocolate owl birthday cake
- Chocolate-dipped strawberry flower birthday cake
- Cupcake tower birthday cake
- Dino birthday cake
- Easy lolly birthday cake recipe
- Flower pot birthday cake
- Handbag birthday cake
- Hollywood starlet birthday cake
- Ice cream cone birthday cake
- Island birthday cake
- Make-up compact birthday cake
- Marshmallow flower birthday cake
- Mermaid treasure birthday cake
- My Little Pony birthday cake
- Pirate ship birthday cake
- Princess birthday cake
- Simple marshmallow birthday cake recipe
- Soccer field birthday cake
- Spaceship birthday cake