Veal Parmigiana recipe
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices veal, pounded to an even thickness
- 1 bottle (400ml) Italian tomato cooking sauce (passata)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
Slice the eggplant lengthways and lay on a tray. Sprinkle all over with salt and turn over and repeat. Leave for 20 minutes, rinse and pat dry.
Preheat oven to 180°C.
In a frying pan, using half of the olive oil, fry the veal for 2 minutes each side and lie in an ovenproof dish. Using the rest of the olive oil, fry the eggplant slices in the same way and lie on top of the veal.
Pour the Italian tomato cooking sauce over the eggplant liberally.
Sprinkle each stack with mozarella cheese and bake until the cheese is golden (approx. 10 minutes). Sprinkle with the chopped parsley and serve.
- I like to shred some fresh basil leaves and scatter them in the dish before baking.
- Sometimes passata can be a little too acidic so I add a teaspoon of sugar to it before I pour it over the veal and eggplant.
- This dish can be pre-prepared up until you add the cheese and bake it. You may have to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes to ensure that the rest of the dish is heated through.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.