Chicken shepherds pie recipe
For potato topping
- 8 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g butter
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 rashers bacon, diced
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 3 cups water
- 1 double chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 500g bag frozen peas, corn and carrots
Peel potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and add salt. Cook until tender. Drain and mash with butter and hot milk. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 180°C. Set aside a medium baking dish.
While the potatoes are cooking, heat olive oil in a pan and cook the onion, garlic and bacon for 2 mins.
Add the butter and flour to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in the water and stock powder. Cook until the sauce thickens.
Add the chicken and frozen vegetables to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Pour pie filling into the baking dish and top with spoonfuls of mashed potato mixture.
Bake for 35-45 mins.
- This pie is quite saucy and full flavoured.
- You can give it an extra kick by adding some wholegrain mustard to the sauce.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
More great chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken