Vanilla slice recipe
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 300ml milk
- 600ml thickened cream
- 2 packets vanilla instant pudding
- 1/4 cup pure icing sugar, to sift over the pastry
Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Bake pastry sheets for 10-15 minutes or until puffed and just golden. When you remove them from the oven, place a tray on top of the sheets to make them flat. Leave them to cool this way.
Line a slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
In a bowl, using a mixer, add the milk, cream and pudding mix together and combine until thick.
Cut one pastry sheet to fit the base of the slice tin and place in the tin.
Pour the custard mixture into the slice tin and smooth out evenly.
Cut the second sheet of pastry and place on top.
Refrigerate until chilled through (about 3 hours) and sprinkle with sifted icing sugar before serving. Remove from tin and slice into squares or rectangles using a serated knife.
- You can also top this recipe with a passionfruit icing by combining 1 cup of icing sugar, 3 tbsp of passionfruit pulp and 25g of butter. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds and pour over the slice before refrigerating.
- You will find instant pudding in your supermarket alongside the custard powder.
- You will need to use cut two pieces of pastry from the one sheet to fit the slice tin.
- There are no fancy skills required to make this. It was so easy!!
- This is a great recipe for afternoon tea parties.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related afternoon tea treats
- Buttermilk scones
- Cheese and bacon scones
- Cheesy scones
- Choc chip scones
- Date scones
- Lemonade scones
- Finger buns
- Hot cross buns
- Corn pikelets
- Gluten-free pikelets
- Pikelets with chocolate sauce
- Veggie pikelets
- Cinnamon tea cake