Tomato savoury mince recipe
This basic savoury mince is great starter for nachos, cottage pies and pastry pies, lasagne and spaghetti bolognese.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 brown onions, diced finely
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 800g tin diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
In a frying pan, add the olive oil and fry the mince until it is well browned and cooked.
Add the onions and fry with the mince until translucent.
Drain off any excess oil and add the tomato paste. Cook for 3 minutes until it is well combined.
Add the tomatoes and sugar and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Nachos - take 2 cups of this mince and add 1-2 tsp of cumin and a 400g tin of rinsed kidney beans and serve topped with cheese and corn chips.
- Cottage pie - add 2 cups of frozen vegetable mix and top with fluffy mashed potatoes. Bake for 35- 40 min at 180°C.
- Lasagne - To this whole quantity of mince, add 3 cloves of garlic, 2 tbsp of Italian herb mix and blend half of the savoury mince mix and re-combine. Layer with lasagne sheets and bechemel sauce and bake for 60 minutes.
- Beef pie - Add frozen vegetables to 2 cups of this mince mixture and sandwich between a shortcrust base and a puff pastry top. Brush top with beaten egg and bake at 180°C for 50-55 minutes.
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.