Christmas Yule log recipe
- 1 chocolate-flavoured Swiss roll
- 100g butter, softened
- 2 cups soft icing mixture, sifted
- 1/3 cup cocoa, sifted
- 2 tbsp milk
To make the snowmen
- 6 Ferrero Rocher Rafaello truffles
- Red licorice
- 1 tbsp icing sugar or icing mixture
- 3 skewers
Using a mixer, beat the butter until pale and fluffy, add the icing mixture and cocoa and mix well.
Add the milk and mix on high for a minute or two until the mixture is light and fluffy.
Place the Swiss roll on a platter and surround it with baking paper.
Spread the chocolate buttercream icing liberally over the Swiss roll using long sweeping strokes to make the bark pattern.
To make the three snowmen, thread two truffles onto a skewer and lie down. Repeat twice.
Using a dab of icing, place the currants for eyes and cachous for the noses.
Place a spoon of buttercream icing into a ziploc bag and snip a tiny piece of the corner of the bag off. Pipe a smile on for each snowman.
Slice licorice strips for the snowmen's scarves and wrap them around the necks.
Sift a spoon of icing sugar or icing mixture over the Yule log.
Break most of the skewer off and push the remainder into the Yule log to anchor the snowmen.
Sprinkle cachous over the log and remove surrounding baking paper. Serve.
- This recipe was created with fun for the kids in mind. It's more about the decorating than the baking and will have the kids eating their creation fast!
- My naughty children (I am sure it was my husband!) ate the licorice so I had to cheat and use capsicum strips for the snowmen's scarves.
- You can also make this recipe even easier if you use a tub of Betty Crocker ready-made frosting. This will also give you the choice of making a chocolate or vanilla cream frosting.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard
- Mars Bar Christmas crackles
- Christmas fruit platter
- Christmas gingerbread families
- Light Christmas cake
- Easy Christmas jellies
- Spiced Christmas muffins
- Traditional panforte
- Christmas shortbread
- Chocolate rumballs
- Christmas fruit cake
- Christmas punch
- White Christmas crackles
- Christmas brownies
- Reindeer cupcakes
- White Christmas slice