Cake in a jar recipe
- 1 quantity of Super-easy chocolate cake
- 2 large glass jars or 4 small glass jars
- Canola spray
- Whipped cream
Prehat oven to 140°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
Make your quantity of Super-easy chocolate cake batter.
Spray the inside of the jars with canola spray. Fill each jar 2/3rds full of cake batter.
Set the jars on the tray and bake for 30-45 mins. The cooking time depends on the size of your jars. Push a skewer into the centre of your cake and if it's clean when removed, the cakes are done.
Remove from oven and leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before eating.
Top with whipped cream and sprinkles of your choice.
- Cakes made this way are often sent overseas to those serving in the military. If you are going to do this, you will need to use sterilised bottling jars and place the lid on immediately after they come out of the oven. The jar will "pop" and then you will know it's sealed and safe to transport.
- Kids love these. Mine couldn't wait to get a spoon into them.
- You can use your favourite cake recipe as long as you adhere to the basic principles set out in this recipe. The low temperature is essential as you don't want your glass jar to shatter in the oven.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.