Christmas candy cane cookies recipe
- 180g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp peppermint essence
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp red food colouring
Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Add the egg, peppermint essence and vanilla extract.
Add the flour a little at a time until well combined. Remove half of the mixture and set aside. Add the red food colouring to the remaining dough and mix well.
Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Gather the dough and roll 8cm lengths of each colour and twist into candy cane shapes.
Bake for 8-10 minutes until candy canes are lightly brown. Leave to cool on the tray.
Tie with Christmas ribbon.
- If the dough is too soft, it may need some time in the fridge before you roll it.
- I used peppermint essence but peppermint extract is better if you can get it.
- For something different you can use green food colouring instead of red.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Related Christmas recipes:
- Christmas-style coleslaw
- Christmas burgers with the lot
- Easy Christmas turkey
- Simple Christmas terrine
- Glazed baked ham
- Cranberry, prosciutto and pistacho stuffing
- Christmas ham
- Christmas tree biscuits
- Christmas pastry wreaths
- Sneaky mini Christmas puddings
- Easy Christmas pudding ice-cream
- Christmas cookies
- Christmas cupcakes with butter frosting
- Boiled Christmas pudding with brandy custard
- Mars Bar Christmas crackles
- Christmas fruit platter
- Christmas gingerbread families
- Light Christmas cake
- Easy Christmas jellies
- Spiced Christmas muffins
- Traditional panforte
- Christmas shortbread
- Chocolate rumballs
- Christmas fruit cake
- Christmas punch
- White Christmas crackles
- Christmas brownies
- Reindeer cupcakes
- White Christmas slice