Avocado and prawn salad recipe
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 500g green prawns
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 ruby grapefruit, segmented
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, prawns and chilli. Fry prawns for 1 minute on each side until just pink. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
Make the dressing: Whisk together in a small bowl the lemon juice, sugar, Tabasco, garlic, olive oil and salt.
In a bowl, place capsicum, green onions, coriander, avocado, grapefruit and orange. Pour over the dressing and gently toss to coat. Transfer onto serving plates and top with warm prawns. Sprinkle some coriander leaves over top.
- Try not to overcook the prawns in this dish. It is best to bring them to room temperature before cooking.
- To segment an orange or grapefruit: cut all the skin and pith off with a sharp knife; slice out the flesh from between the membranes so all you're left with is citrus flesh with no pith.
- You will need to dress this salad as soon as ingredients are assembled, so the lemon juice can stop the avocado from turning brown.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.