Lamb souvlaki recipe
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp grated lemon rind
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 500g diced lamb
- lemon wedges
In a bowl, combine the oil, lemon rind, garlic and oregano.
Place the lamb into bowl of marinade and coat on both sides. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, soak some bamboo skewers in water while lamb is marinating.
Thread lamb cubes onto skewers and cook on a hot plate for 3-6 minutes, depending on the thickness of the lamb cubes. It is best to 'just' cook lamb, otherwise it becomes tough and loses its juiciness.
- Soaking the skewers is important, especially if you barbecue the souvlaki, as this will prevent the bamboo skewers from being alight.
- I brushed a little extra marinade on my souvlaki as they are cooking to boost flavour.
- Squeeze lemon over souvlaki just before serving to give it an authentic taste.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.