Rice cream recipe
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 6 cups (1.5L) milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- fruit, to serve
In a large saucepan, place rice, milk, sugar and vanilla.
Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 45 mins to 1 hour or until the rice is soft and creamy. Stir occasionally to make sure that the mixture doesn't stick to the pan.
Serve warm or chilled with tinned or fresh fruit, such as mangoes, peaches or pears.
- You really need to keep an eye on this because if you don't turn it down to a simmer the minute it boils, it will boil over and make a huge mess.
- This rice cream is not overly sweet and the addition of fruit gives it balance.
- You can replace the milk with a low-fat alternative to lower the kilojoule count.
- Instead of fruit, you can also serve it Greek-style - with just a dusting of cinnamon.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.