- 1 loaf pane di casa (traditional Italian bread), crusts removed and cubed
- 300ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 cup basil leaves, torn
- salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper and bake the bread cubes for 10 minutes or until golden and crunchy.
In a large bowl, whisk the oil, vinegar and garlic until combined.
Place the bread into the bowl to soak in the dressing.
Add the tomato, onion and basil leaves and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- The texture of this salad is incredible. If you serve it immediately, the bread cubes are soaked in dressing but still crunchy.
- It is best to have the tomatoes at room temperature so you can enjoy the full flavour.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealands best recipe finder.