Teriyaki chicken skewers recipe
These Teriyaki chicken skewers have a delicious marinade that is versatile and can be used with pork and prawns as well as chicken.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup Shao Sing wine (Chinese rice wine)
- 6 cloves, garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 2 tsp five spice powder
- 500g chicken breast, cut into strips
Make the Marinade: Place all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.
Thread chicken breast strips onto soaked bamboo skewers. Marinade in two-thirds of the marinade mixture for 4 hours in the refrigerator.
Heat your pan or grill to hot and cook the skewers until the meat is just cooked.
Brush with remaining marinade when almost done. Serve with Asian crunchy noodle salad and rice.
- The five spice powder is optional and you can leave it out if you don’t think the kids will like it.
- Don’t forget to soak the skewers in water for 1 hour so they don’t burn on the barbecue.
- You can find Chinese rice wine in the Asian food aisle of your local supermarket.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder
Related chicken recipes:
- Amazing roast chicken
- Apricot chicken with parsley
- Asian chicken noodles
- Caramelized apple and cheese-stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken fried rice
- Cheat's chicken biryani
- Chicken and cheese pasta bake
- Chicken and pumpkin risotto
- Chicken and sugar snap stir fry
- Chicken and vegetable pie
- Chicken bacon and mushroom fettucine
- Chicken balls
- Chicken risotto
- Chicken satay skewers
- Crispy chicken thighs with rosemary and potatoes
- Easy chicken casserole
- Easy Chinese lemon chicken