Zucchini and cheese slice recipe
This zucchini and cheese slice is a perfect dish for a light lunch paired with salad. Also great for packing into picnic baskets and lunch boxes. Find more on Kidspot New Zealand.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely slice
- 4 zucchini, grated
- 1 tbsp fried oregano
- ½ cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 200°C fan-forced. Line a slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
In a frying pan, heat the oil and sauté the onion until translucent. Place in a bowl with the zucchini, oregano, cheese and flour. Combine well.
In a smaller bowl beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper; add to the zucchini mixture. Combine well and pour into slice tin. Lay tomato slices on top and season again.
Bake for 40 minutes until mixture is firm in the centre. Remove from oven to cool in the tin. Serve with salad.
- Use a round quiche dish for this recipe if you don’t have a slice tin. Make sure you grease it so the slice doesn’t stick.
- For extra flavor, you can replace half the cheddar cheese with parmesan cheese.
- If you want a bit more flavor, replace the onion with 4 green onions, sliced.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder