Simple pancake recipe
If you want to know how to make pancakes, this simple pancake recipe is for you. It makes light, fluffy golden pancakes that are great with syrup.
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 tbsp butter for greasing the pan
In a bowl, place the milk, lemon juice and sugar together and whisk. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. The milk will take on a curdled appearance but that's fine.
In a bowl, sift the flour and bicarbonate soda and whisk in the curdled milk mixture.
Whisk in the egg and cooled, melted butter until well combined.
Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat and place a knob of butter into the warmed pan. Roll it around to grease the surface and cook 1/2 cup measures of the batter until bubbles appear. Flip and cook to golden and serve.
- I like to cook my pancakes on a low to medium heat so the butter doesn't burn.
- Some great pancake toppings are strawberries and cream, maple syrup and good old lemon and sugar.
- Placing lemon juice into milk makes buttermilk substitute so these pancakes are just like buttermilk pancakes.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.
Find related pancake recipes
- Apple and cinnamon pancakes
- Apple pancakes
- Baby banana pancakes
- Banana pancakes with caramel sauce
- Basic pancakes
- Buckwheat pancakes with berries
- Buttermilk pancakes
- Choc chip pancakes
- Cottage cheese pancakes
- Lemon and sugar pancakes
- Mulberry pancakes
- Orange syrup pancakes
- Pancakes with berries and yoghurt
- Pancakes with caramel bananas
- Ricotta pancakes with honeycomb butter
- Spotty berry pancakes
- Teddy bear pancakes