Scrambled eggs with basil, garlic and tomato recipe
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- butter, for frying
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tomato, flesh scooped out and diced
- 8 basil leaves, shredded
- 2 slices sourdough bread, toasted
Place the eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk until combined.
Heat butter in a frying pan over a medium heat and add garlic. Fry for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and fry until heated through.
Pour egg mixture into pan and leave to set for 1 minute. Using a wooden spoon, push the egg to the centre of the pan and turn. Repeat until the eggs are two thirds set and turn off heat. Sprinkle fresh basil and turn over twice again. Slide onto warm toast.
Serve with a good grinding of sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Try not to have the pan too hot for these eggs. You want the egg to set a little and then you push it to form curls.
- If you lay the diced tomatoes on paper towel for awhile it will drain away the juice and stop your eggs becoming a wet mess.
- Cutting the basil with scissors gives it a nice clean look and it is so much easier.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.