Easy paella recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 single chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 chorizo sausage, chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 6 saffron threads
- ½ tsp salt
- 400g tin diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 8 cooked prawns, peeled
- 1 cup cooked peas or green beans
- 2 cups baby rocket
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- lemon wedges, to serve
Heat the oil in a large, deep frypan over medium heat. Cook the chicken pieces until golden and set aside.
Fry the onion and chorizo to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the chorizo begins to crisp. Add the rice and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Using a mortar and pestle, grind the saffron with the salt, and then sprinkle over the rice.
Add the drained chopped tomatoes, capsicum, garlic, chilli and stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
Return the chicken to the pan with the prawns and peas and heat for 2 minutes. Stir through the rocket and coriander. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
- Some paella recipes instruct you not to stir once all the ingredients are in the pan so the rice can just sit and absorb the flavours.
- This is fine if you are using a traditional paella pan and want it to form a crust but for everyday fast meals, I stir the rice.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.