Fried wontons recipe
- 1 egg
- 40 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- 500g minced pork (the fatty type)
- 100g green prawn meat, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
Mix all filling ingredients together.
In a small separate bowl, lightly beat the egg.
Take 1 tsp of filling and place it into the centre of a wonton wrapper. Brush two adjoining edges with the egg and fold the wrapper over to form a triangle.
Heat oil until very hot. Deep fry in batches of six and drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
- Sweet and sour sauce is now widely available at the supermarket.
- If I'm feeling lazy, I put the mixture into the food processor to combine; it creates a smooth texture.
- Asian butchers sell two types of pork mince: The one you want has fat in it for flavour.
- You really need to stick to the quantities in this recipe. If the wonton fillings are too wet, they explode and fill up with hot oil.
- Pork is pink when it is cooked so you need to pull a wonton apart and feel the temperature of the centre of to get and idea if they are cooked.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot.