Ginger and peach jam recipe
- 1.5kg peaches, cut in half, deseeded
- 3 cups Jamsetta sugar
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp allspice
Bring large pan of water to the boil; plunge peach halves into pan for 2 minutes. Remove and plunge into ice water. Slip off skins and cut into cubes.
Place peaches, sugar, ginger, lemon juice and allspice into a large, deep glass bowl.
Cook on HIGH in the microwave for 5 minutes and stir well to ensure the sugar is dissolved. Cook for a further 20 minutes on HIGH, until the mixture has reached setting point. (You can test the setting point of jam by placing a spoonful on a chilled saucer and then running a spoon through the centre. If the jam stays in two halves, it is set.)
Alternatively you can cook this on the stovetop for 25 minutes.
Transfer to clean sterilized jars and store in the refrigerator once opened.
- Jamsetta sugar is castor sugar with pectin added but this recipe will work just as well with ordinary castor sugar as ripe peaches naturally have enough pectin.
- Some recipes use crystallised ginger in jam but I prefer fresh ginger so you get the full flavour.
- There are two types of fresh ginger and both will work in this recipe but if you can find young ginger it tastes even better.
Related chutney, sauce and preserve recipes:
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.