Homemade Oreo cookies recipe
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (don't omit this, it is the bomb diggity ingredient in cookies!)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus more for flattening cookies
- 140 g butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 egg
Vanilla cream icing:
- 115 g butter
- 115 g Copha
- 3 1/2 cups icing mixture (not icing sugar)
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
Preheat your oven to 180 C (fan-forced).
Sift those dry ingredients together and set aside.
Get out your mixer and beat the butter and sugar till fluffy (2-3 minutes).
Add egg, then gradually add dry ingredients till you have dough.
Use an ice-cream scoop to drop dough onto baking paper lined trays.
Spacing is critical, so make sure you leave 4 centimetres between cookies.
Dip a bottom of a glass in sugar and use it to flatten cookies to 1/2 a centimetre. If the dough gets stuck carefully remove it. If you want your cookies flatter then just smoosh them!
Bake for 10 minutes till cookies are just done.
Cool completely and prepare vanilla cream.
To make the cream filling, mix the butter and copha till you just can't mix no more.
Gradually add the icing sugar and vanilla.
Either pipe or spoon mixture in between two cooled cookies and sandwich them together GENTLY.
- Normally you'd slightly undercook this type of cookie, but not in this case as you are sandwiching them and need them completely hard.
- Stored in a Tupperware container for two days, these babies will keep just fine, however you'll find they won't get to the two day mark!
- This makes a good 2-dozen sandwiched Oreos, so you can wrap some up and share the love!
- Serve the finished product with a big glass of milk (full cream of course!)