Egg sandwiches recipe
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 4 tbsp chives, chopped
- 8 slices wholegrain bread (or rye)
- butter for the bread
- 2 cups mixed lettuce, washed
In a medium size bowl, mash the eggs and mix in mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. Add the celery and chives and combine well.
Spread the butter on the bread and lay a bed of lettuce leaves on the butter. Spoon the egg mixture onto the lettuce and top with a slice of bread.
- This recipe makes four sandwiches. I cut out a little heart shape on mine just for fun.
- This sandwich is about using the best ingredients to make a tasty sandwich. Use fresh free-range eggs, whole egg mayonnaise and the best bread you can find.
- If you are making this ahead of time you can use the lettuce to shield the bread from becoming soggy.
- When cutting the chives I use kitchen scissors as it gives a nice clean cut and makes it easy.
- You can add a half teaspoon of curry powder to this recipe to make curried egg sandwiches.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.