Hard boiled egg recipe
- 4 eggs
- cold water to cover
- ice water to cover
Place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water.
Bring the water to the boil slowly and when boiling, turn off the heat and cover the saucepan with a lid.
Leave to stand for 12 minutes and then plunge into ice water for 5 minutes.
Gently crack the shells and peel under running water.
- This method if followed correctly will ensure your egg don't have that grey tinge around the yolk.
- Do not overcrowd the saucepan as you don't want the eggs hitting each other in the pan and cracking before they are cooked.
- The amount of time is personal preference for some people. You can leave to stand for as little as 7 minutes or as long as 15 minutes.
- If you want the eggs to be in the centre of the egg when you slice it then you should gently swirl the water as the water comes to the boil.
- The size of the eggs will affect the cooking time so please take that into account when cooking your eggs.
Find more egg recipes
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.