Lentil chilli recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 1 tin (410g) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tins (400g) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- sour cream and fresh coriander to serve
In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions until slightly caramelised, about 15 minutes.
Add the garlic, lentils, cumin, coriander and garam masala. Fry for 2 minutes and add the water and crushed tomatoes. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
Add one tin of the rinsed kidney beans to the pot and then roughly mash the kidney beans from the other tin and add them to the pot. Simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the chilli is to the consistency that you like and the lentils are soft.
Serve with some sour cream and fresh coriander.
- I like to add a drained tin of corn kernels to this chilli if I have it in the cupboard.
- You can make a double batch of this and put it into the slow cooker. Just before you are ready to eat, add the kidney beans. Don't forget if you want to reduce liquid in a slow cooker, you will need to leave the lid off.
Find more vegetarian recipes
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.