Homemade crumpets recipe
- 4 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cups warm water
- 1 sachet or 7g dry yeast
In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Combine well.
Mix the yeast into the warm water and whisk into the flour mixture until a smooth batter forms.
Cover with a tea towel or cling film and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.
Heat a frying pan and place in four egg rings in the pan. Spray each with cooking spray. Ladle the batter into each egg ring until each is ¾ full.
Cook on a medium heat until golden on the bottom and large holes have formed over the top. Cover the frying pan and cook a further 3 minutes. These can actually take up to 15 minutes on a low-medium heat to cook. They need to be dry to the touch on top.
Remove from pan and remove egg rings. Serve with butter and honey or jam.
- Leaving the mixture for 30 minutes to rise is the most important part of this recipe, if you don’t do this, you will just have a yeasty pancake.
- If you have time you can make this the night before and leave it sitting out overnight to use the next morning.
- I used a flat grill for these as I can fit 8 egg rings on my flat grill.
- These will have a denser texture than bought crumpets. My tip is to make sure you have REAL butter on them and don’t forget the strawberry jam.
Find related breakfast recipes
- Banana and honey porridge
- Basic pancakes
- Big breakfast
- Bull's eye egg
- Fluffy cheese omelette
- Golden brunch puffs
- Home made yoghurt
- Almond croissants
- Bacon and egg muffins
- Lemon butter
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.