Caramelised pear tarts recipe
Who can resist delicious golden caramelised pears over a crispy pastry base? Not me! Make use of those pears in season and serve up this delicious and economical dessert for the family.
- 2 sheets frozen short crust pastry, thawed
- 6 pears, peeled and sliced
- 60g butter
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- thick cream or yoghurt, to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C/190°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
Cut 12 large circles of pastry from the sheets and lay on the baking trays. Prick all over with a fork and bake for 5-8 minutes and remove from oven. Leave on trays.
While the pastry is baking, heat the butter over a medium heat in a frying pan until bubbling and add the pears. Sauté until lightly golden and add the brown sugar.
Stir constantly until the sugar caramelises and the pears are soft.
Spoon the warm pears onto the pastry bases and serve with a dollop of thick cream of natural yoghurt.
- Make sure the oven is nice and hot before you put the pastry in so it becomes nice and crisp.
- You will need to keep a close eye on the pears as the mixture can burn in the pan very easily.
- For a little extra flavour, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and some cinnamon when you add the sugar, when cooking the pears.
- Who can resist delicious golden caramelised pears over a crispy pastry base? Not me! Make use of those pears in season and serve up this delicious dessert.
Related hot dessert recipes
- Apple and rhubarb crumble
- Apple and blackberry crumble
- Apple crumble
- Bread and butter pudding
- Butterscotch self saucing pudding
- Blueberry buckle cake recipe
- Chocolate fudge pudding
- Chocolate self-saucing pudding
- Easy pear cobbler
- Lemon delicious pudding
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot,New Zealand's best recipe finder.