Light Spaghetti Carbonara recipe
- 1 pkt (400g) thin spaghetti
- cooking spray
- 12 slices shortcut bacon, cut into thin strips
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 400g low-fat cream cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- freshly ground black pepper
Cook pasta as per packet instructions.
In a frying pan sprayed with cooking spray, cook the bacon, spring onions and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring continuously. Add milk, parsley and half of the parmesan cheese to the frying pan, stirring continuously.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese and eggs and set aside.
Place the cooked pasta in the frying pan with the bacon mixture. Add the eggs and cream mixture, tossing to coat all strands for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Serve in warmed bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and season with freshly ground pepper.
- This will feed 4 to 5 people. It's OK to halve the ingredients if you're cooking for 2.
- Reserve some of the pasta water to thin the sauce if it becomes too thick.
- Try to make sure that you don’t overcook your pasta as it will continue cooking in the sauce.
- It’s cheaper to buy a block of parmesan cheese and grate it yourself. Just wrap it in baking paper and place in a resealable bag in the fridge to store.
More pasta recipes:
- Chorizo pasta
- Bacon and bean fettucine
- Curtis Stone's fettucine bolognaise
- Ear pasta with peas and bacon
- Chicken lasagne
- Sage butter ravioli
- Light spaghetti carbonara
This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.