Cookie Monster cupcakes recipe
These chocolate flavoured Cookie Monster cupcakes will delight your Sesame Street loving pre-schooler. They are perfect to take to school for birthdays or even just to delight your little guests at your next birthday party.
- 1 quantity chocolate cupcakes
- 200g butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups icing mixture
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- blue food colouring
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 pkt white marshmallows
- 1 tube black writing icing
- 12 chocolate chip cookies (1/2 per Monster with a few for breakage)
Using an electric mixer, whip the butter until it is pale. This will take at least 5 minutes on high.
Gradually add in the icing mixture and vanilla until well combined.
With the mixer running, add in food colouring until you get to the Cookie Monster colour. This may be a lot if you are using liquid food colouring or a little if using gel food colouring.
Add in the milk and mix until the frosting puffs up.
Fill a piping bag with a fluted nozzle and pipe on icing.
With the writing icing, place black spots on the marshmallows for pupils.
Place on each cupcake.
Cut cookies in half and place in “mouth”.
- You can use your favourite cupcake recipe for these. Just go with what your kids love best!
- There is quite a bit of food colouring in these cupcakes for the blue icing. If this concerns you, you can use a natural food colouring.
- If you don’t have time to use a piping bag for the icing you can swirl a very thick coating on the cupcake and use the flat blade of a knife to create the Cookie Monsters fur.
- It is really important that you whip the butter in this recipe until it is very pale and almost white, as the icing will take on a green hue from the yellow in the butter. If your icing takes on a green light, you can add some lilac to cancel out the colour.
- If you can’t get black writing icing, you can stick on brown mini M&M’s for the pupils.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.