Coconut cupcakes recipe
- 120g butter
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 ¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup dessicated coconut
Preheat oven to 180°C or 160° fan-forced. Place patty pans on a baking tray and set aside.
Using a mixer, cream the butter until pale and fluffy. Gradually add in the sugar until well combined.
With the motor running add one egg at a time ensuring you scrape down the sides of the bowl to get and even mixture.
Add the vanilla extract and gradually add the coconut milk until all combined.
In a separate bowl mix the plain flour, salt, baking powder and dessicated coconut. Beat this into the wet mixture about a half a cup at a time until well combined.
Fill the patty pans two-thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- I just put a squirt of cream and little lollies on top of these.
- If you are looking for a grown-up cupcake these are great. They aren’t sickly sweet and can be topped with coconut flavoured cream cheese icing and toasted coconut for special occasions.
- If you only have coconut cream in your pantry, take care to add a bit more milk with it, otherwise the mixture will be too dry.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.