Bacon, potato and cheese soup recipe
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 bacon shortcuts, diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1 tub (200g) sour cream
Place potatoes in medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash until smooth.
In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the bacon and diced onion until the onion is softened. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Whisk the mashed potato into the pot and add in mozzarella, tasty cheese and sour cream. Whisk together and serve when all cheeses are melted into the soup.
- The reason I boil the potatoes separately in this soup it to save time and so the recipe isn’t too starchy from the potato water.
- You can add other vegetables that you like to this recipe.
- I used chicken stock for this recipe but if you don’t have any it still has a very full flavour from the bacon.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.