Slow cooker beer stew recipe
- 1.5 kg chuck steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 50g butter
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 4-8 potatoes, thickly sliced
- 2 stubbies beer
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
Place flour, salt and pepper and steak in a large ziploc bag and shake.
Heat butter and oil in a frying pan and brown all of the meat in batches, then place in the slow cooker.
Add the vegetables.
Pour over the beer, stock peppercorns, soy sauce and bay leaves.
Cook on high for 1 hour and then skim the oil off with a metal spoon and discard.
Turn the heat down to low and cook for 6 hours on low.
- You can thicken this with 2 tsp of cornflour in a glass of cold water added to the stew an hour before the stew finishes cooking.
- I used VB beer because I had it in the cupboard. You can choose your own favourite to use.
- I like to cut all of these ingredients chunky style so they hold their form in the slow cooker.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.