Salmon and vegetable cakes recipe
- 1kg brushed potatoes, boiled until tender and mashed well
- 1 x 400g tin pink salmon, bones and skin removed, salmon flaked
- 1 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen peas and corn mix, defrosted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- vegetable oil for frying
In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potato, salmon and onion until well combined.
Add the peas and corn and combine gently until well-mixed.
Set up a crumbing station with three plates: one for the flour, one for the combined egg and milk, and the third for the breadcrumbs.
Form patties of the salmon and potato mixture and thoroughly coat in the flour, dip in the egg wash, then coat in the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat and gently fry the patties until golden on eat side. Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in an oven until cooking is complete.
- You can add whatever vegetables are handy.
- I like to make the potato mix while the potatoes are warm and then let it cool completely. If you crumb a warm mixture they burst open during frying as the steam escapes.
- If you have time, you can chill these after crumbing for an hour so you have a very 'sturdy' crumb.
- I like to have enough oil in the pan so it reaches halfway up the sides of the patties when the pan is full. These salmon cakes will not soak up oil if the oil temperature is hot enough.
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand’s best recipe finder.
Find more dinner recipes
- Beef and glass noodle stirfry
- French omelette
- Easy lamb koftas
- Fettucine alfredo
- Spaghetti with tuna and tomatoes
- Chicken and sweet corn soup
- Chicken wraps
- Steak sandwich
- Gnocchi with tomato and basil
- Fast ziti recipe
- Penne with ricotta, spinach and cherry tomatoes