Baby carrot soup recipe
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 500g baby carrots, scrubbed and chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tin (400g) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce, or to taste
- crusty bread, to serve
In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat and gently cook the onions for 3-4 minutes, or until translucent.
Add the carrots and cook for a further 4 minutes.
Add the stock powder, tomato and water and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
In a blender or using a stick blender, process the soup until smooth.
Add the soy sauce a little at a time to taste.
Serve with crusty bread.
- If you're using regular-sized carrots, you can add a pinch of sugar with the stock powder to increase the sweetness.
- Add the soy sauce a splash at a time, stirring and tasting after each addition until just right for your taste.
- This dish could easily be called pumpkin soup if that's all a fussy eater in the family will eat...
- This recipe was created by Jennifer Cheung for Kidspot, New Zealand's best recipe finder.